Construction done!

In case you didn’t notice, I’ve been documenting the construction we just finished around the end of the year. If you want, you can step back one entry, or check it out from the beginning.
 
So, I’d count our construction mostly complete in December. There were a few things still on the punchlist, and some accountant-type stuff left to do, but we’re moving in and taking back our space.
 
I still need to get better pictures, but here’s what we got so far.
 
Garage:
 
 
Room:
 
 
Before and after!
 
 
We’re still doing stuff, so I might have more updates later!
 
 
Advertisements

Bet you thought this would be about construction…

And you’re right! ;)  If you missed what’s going on, step back, or start at the beginning.
 
It’s mid-October now. It seems like things are slowing down a bit, and we’re not seeing the guys as often. Still, we make progress.
 
Insulation goes in upstairs.
 
 
 
Sheetrock is loaded (doesn’t that look a little close to the car?!??).
 
 
Sheetrock goes up.
 
 
Insulation goes in downstairs, and we get a new garage door.
 
 
So…. in case you’re wondering, we got a new garage door because we widened the door opening, so it’d be easier to drive in and out. That just caused a heap of trouble. How? Let me tell you.
 
The third bay of the garage is a lean-to. That is, it’s tacked on to the side of the house, and isn’t part of its main structure. That’s how they easily did two- and three-car garages in this neighborhood: build the main house, then tack on an extra bay. Anyway, that didn’t matter to our inspector. When we widened the door, the inspector told our contractor that he had to reinforce the structure on the main walls of the rest of the house, even though they weren’t being touched by the construction, even though we had a couple of neighbors who widened theirs and didn’t have to do that. That cost us extra, for engineering, labor, and materials. We had a few choice names for the inspector after that.
 
Anyway, some sheetrock for the garage:
 
 
That little outcropping there is the fireplace and ductwork. There are some very specific rules about where you can put your direct vent exhaust pipe, and that’s where it ended up. It terminates over the deck on the other side of the wall.
 
 

Construction continues

The remodel is moving along as we move into October. Structure is done (go here to see the last entry, and here to start over), time to finish out the inside.
 
The electricians were by and did the electrical rough-in.
 
 
This is the upstairs bathroom. The new room extends past it, so the window was removed. Also, they had to move our skylight because of the slope of the new roof.
 
 
We did the painting ourselves to save a little money.
 
 
The garage gets its first visitor…
 
 
What it looks like looking down at the new part:
 
 
Gutters go on, and it’s starting to look like a real house.
 
 
Oh… see that satellite dish on the pergola? Yeah. That used to be on the corner of the house, but the guys moved it to a handmade "sled" for the duration of the project. We adjusted the dish by poking the sled with a stick. :D
 
 

More construction

Just a few blog posts chronicling our remodel. We’re on to the roof now. This is about mid-September. To check out the last installment, go here. To start at the beginning, go here.
 
After finishing framing, they just threw a tarp over it.
 
 
Of course, we wanted something more substantial, so they added boards and tar paper.
 
 
And finally, the roof.
 
 
This is the upstairs room before the wall was broken through, from the closet area:
 
 
Siding and windows are in.
 
 
And the wall is down.
 
 
You can see where the closet in the old room was, too. This is being replaced by a walk-in in the new section.
 
 
It feels almost done, but there’s a lot left to do!
 
 

Construction time again

(Yay obscure Depeche Mode reference)
 
Construction is ongoing. To go back to the start, go here.
 
It’s early September. The foundation is laid, and it’s time for framing. It went up pretty quick, too. We went to work one day and came home to this:
 
 
At the same time, we had them raise the ceiling in the existing third bay of the garage, to make room for lifts. The mess of wires carry cable and power to the rest of the house and were exposed when they tore out the ceiling.
 
 
Incidentally, this is about the time that our contractor nearly killed himself. He was pulling out some roofing over the existing garage, and, when it gave way, he fell headfirst off the scaffold, resulting in a concussion and broken shoulder blade. Tough guy, though… after healing up some he was back on the job.
 
Up goes the second floor:
 
 
House wrap and siding:
 
 
Roof trusses:
 
 
And we’re ready for a roof.
 
 
At this point, the exterior wall of the upstairs bedroom is still intact. That’ll be removed after the structure is closed in.
 
Next: roofing.